What we can learn from the movies for marketing?
Recently talking to a friend of mine became a question whether it can learn from the movies.He was of the opinion that one can learn some things about life, but nothing more.”Everything in the film is a hoax,” he told me.I turn I did not think so and then I remembered an example from a year ago in Germany.
“Patient received treatment in a clinic with particular symptoms. Doctors can’t find what he has, to the day when Dr. Jürgen Schäfer, thought of an episode of the popular television series “House MD”. In the episode, tells how the mother of Dr. Cuddy, was admitted for treatment of unexplained symptoms. Then Dr. House, discovers that she has become cobalt, which is worn out and cobalt has spread in her body ( Season 7, Episode 11 ). Through this episode German doctor who discovered correspondence between the symptoms of his patient and mother of Dr. Cuddy and so he saved the life of that man. After Dr. Jürgen Schäfer, included in his lectures he read medical students, and episodes of the series (the full article can be read HERE ).”
After I pointed this example of my friend, I decided to write this article. It will mention only a few of the films that impressed me, that can help in building a quality marketing strategy.I’m sure there are thousands of such films, but my idea is to prove to the pessimists that the films are not just for entertainment and relaxation after a hard day at the office, and may at the same time and to educate.
The first film that you would be beneficial if you work in the field of marketing is “Scandal” the idea of Shonda Rhimes. Except love stories that are played in the series, and the subject line of the espionage series stands out with a free course in PR and marketing. The series tells the story of Olivia Pope (actress Kerry Washington), who is an expert in crisis PR. Anyone who has seen the show, you can say, “Yes it can be used for the training of PR specialists, but where he saw that can be used for marketing professionals?”
To answer this question, I would like to give a definition of what is marketing and what is PR.
Marketing – is communicating the value of a product, service or brand to customers, for the purpose of promoting or selling that product, service, or brand. Marketing techniques include choosing target markets through market analysis and market segmentation, as well as understanding consumer behavior and advertising a product’s value to the customer. From a societal point of view, marketing is the link between a society’s material requirements and its economic patterns of response. Marketing satisfies these needs and wants through exchange processes and building long-term relationships. Marketing blends art and applied science (such as behavioural sciences) and makes use of information technology. Marketing is applied in enterprise and organizations through marketing management ( Wikipedia.org ).
- PR – is the practice of managing the spread of information between an individual or an organization (such as a business, government agency, or a nonprofit organization) and the public. Public relations may include an organization or individual gaining exposure to their audiences using topics of public interest and news items that do not require direct payment. This differentiates it from advertising as a form of marketing communications. The aim of public relations is to inform the public, prospective customers, investors, partners, employees, and other stakeholders and ultimately persuade them to maintain a certain view about the organization, its leadership, products, or of political decisions. Public relations Professionals typically work for PR and Marketing Firms, Businesses and companies, Government, Government Agencies, and Public officials as PIOs, and nongovernmental and nonprofit Organizations Organizations (Wikipedia.org).
From the above, it appears that both marketing and PR, go hand in hand. While marketing is trying to sell, the PR takes care of the good performance of the organization or individual, to society.
Now back to the show “Scandal” and why I think it is interesting as training material for marketing professionals. Here are some key factors:
- “What do you want” – this is the first question that the main character asks its customers. If you ask CEOs, in your company answer will it is “More sales”, and some of them will complement “and more satisfied customers.” This is the time in which you must carefully to understand the needs of their bosses. This is the main question that will rise and further, that will help you in your work.
- Strengths and weaknesses – series us teaches how that use strengths and weaknesses of In preparing its marketing strategy, learn how to use the strengths become your product and weaknesses of competitors.
- In the series, which focuses on preparation for elections in the foreground stand out and tactics relatedthishowthattowin UsetheseTacticsin, itsstrategy and I am confident that the outcome will occur.
- The series also teaches and how to use all available resources – human, technical resources and media.The main character is a successful career, in part for its own sake and skills are but partly thanks to her team, which is rightly called the‘Rowing in suits. “This shows that behind every successful product must stands the team.
Next film that I made a strong impression and can also be used as a guide to the trader is “The Wolf of Wall Street”. The film is based on the eponymous memoir of Jordan Belfort. And here except the personal drama of the characters, which is supporting story line, the film focuses on the skills of the entrepreneur, who owns and develops Jordan Belfort (starring Leonardo DiCaprio).
Jordan Belfort is born July 9, 1962. He is an American author and former stockbroker who pleaded guilty to fraud and related crimes in connection with stock market manipulation and running a boiler room as part of a penny stock scam. Belfort spent 22 months in prison as part of an agreement under which he gave testimony against numerous partners and subordinates in his fraud scheme.
The film gives an outstanding response to the most frequently asked question in a job interview in the commercial sector, namely, “How will you sell me this pen?” Use this film to improve their qualities of a trader or a marketing specialist. In the film also emphasized and the skills of Jordan Belfort, to motivate employees. He now travels the world to teach people how to become rich as motivate them.
Next film, which I would like to address is “The Social Network”. The film is a 2010 American drama directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin. Adapted from Ben Mezrich’s 2009 Book The Accidental billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal, the Film portrays the founding of Social networking Website Facebook and the resulting lawsuits.
Analyzing the film, I can say that it is also a successful handbook for budding entrepreneurs. Although the founder of the most popular social network in the world, is that the film is “ hurtful “, it can derive a valuable lesson – if you are persistent and believe in your dream, it can become a reality.
City of God (Portuguese: Cidade de Deus) is a 2002 Brazilian crime drama film directed by Fernando Meirelles and co-directed by Kátia Lund, released in its home country in 2002 and worldwide in 2003. The story was adapted by Bráulio Mantovani from the 1997 novel of the same name written by Paulo Lins, but the plot is loosely based on real events. It depicts the growth of organized crime in the Cidade de Deus suburb of Rio de Janeiro, between the end of the 1960s and the beginning of the 1980s, with the closure of the film depicting the war between the drug dealer Li’l Zé and vigilante -turned-criminal Knockout Ned.
The film intrigued me with a scene where describes how to create a successful business model, even if it is taken from drug trafficking.
- Create product – narrator begins so “drug business is like any other business … The product is packed in points.” This is the starting any business – product, good or service.
- Hiring people – to have a successful business, it is important it is and that have staff. In question scene be question for building of hierarchical structure in this appearance trade (supplier, messengers, mules, soldiers, etc.).
- Career – from messenger to become a guard. The opportunity to grow up in his career is associated with more responsibility and better pay.
- The use of internal staff to occupy a high position in the hierarchy – “If they good at all, you that become Governor – right hand of boss “.
- To deal with competitors and enemies is to make their partners – “The police receive his share and create problem. ” Here’s an example of how you can attract enemies of their country. A competition (in the film) was “killed.” In the business environment, of course this can not happen literally, but in transfer en sense, yet it is the idea of any business – to eliminate competition.
- More income for the owner – “The city is filled with drug addicts …” When are met all the above points comes outcome – a successful business.
I’m sure there are many more films from which we can benefit and build a successful business model with a successful marketing strategy. As I like to say: “In the market there are products that are simply well-established marketing strategy – not worth one cent, but people are willing to give money, just to hold them. “
What we can learn from the movies for marketing?
Recently talking to a friend of mine became a question whether it can learnRead More